Monday : Paint Prep Day 1

Alright, as promised Monday I start sanding, due to me getting sunburned this weekend it’s probably not a good idea to be in the garage exposed to sun. There really isn’t a lot of things on the car to technically sand besides the doors (because you have to remove the handles and that process really stinks)

So I started off with the hood.


Gave the car a quick “wash” with some soap and water, to get the dust off.
Then started to wet-sand the carbon hood. I’m going to throw some kitty hair in all of the cracks to make it a bit stronger, fix the bowed edges, re-resin it, then primer and paint.

I expect no less than it to still be wavy as fuck. But until I am working and can afford the masa motorsports bonnet, I’m fucked with this hood for now.


pretty much have a big ole sponge loaded with water.
block, wipe, block, wipe, block, wipe, let dry and see if I can see anymore clear.


then after it dried from the wet-sanding, I dry-sanded it after removing the water sprayers and the hood latches.


about 30 minutes later I moved onto the door and removed the ganadors, figure I would sand the harder things first, and save the easier stuff like large body panels for later.


Lovely, not only do the ganadors have 1 layer of paint, they have 2 layers of paint on top of primer.


So I removed the motors completely from the ganadors, after I removed the glass (this all did not happen in order.)





I pretty much went inside, took a nap, and around 5-6pm went back outside to finish my job.



This definitely is going to wait until tomorrow. Once I figure out the problem with the passenger door lock I am going to have the keyhole on that side shaved.

Anyway back to the mirrors.

finished sanding the passenger side mirror, man these things are a bitch to prep.Especially if they’ve had two previous owners, the silver paint had mad orange peel, and the gunmetal sparkle paint was some shitty krylon rattle can stuff. Literally started coming off in seconds as soon as it was hit with wet sandpaper.

passenger side mirror with motor removed, driver side mirror motor still in tact. (not for long)


if you are to attempt this and remove the motors, you have to take the spring loaded base and flip it up, the last screw is being held in place by a nut.

I go to take my wheels off of the front of the car so they don’t get damaged while I prep the car for paint, lug nut falls out of the socket and all I heard was a loud CLANK and the paint cracked off like a scab =(

finally dark, just finishing up this last pesky mirror.

bam, all jambs clean and mirrors are as smooth as a baby’s ass.

tomorrow I start work on the driver door and rear driver QP (removing the antenna, going to have that welded shut.)

thanks for reading

W.E.

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!