Transmission Submission

The day most Nissan owners dread…

transmission servicing.

Image
Image

Hrmn, well I had mentioned in my last update I was removing the transmission…
Well that wasn’t so bad, it only took 3 hours… since I didn’t use any power tools (dad showed up with air compressor and no gun, no wrench).
that’s like showing up with condoms but no pussy.

C’mon pops, dayum.

Image

Image

Figured it would be a good idea to remove my lower harness so I didn’t fuck it up.

Image

Yeah, no breaker bar…. Just that little ass 17 and fucking straight caveman muscled those bitches off. Now I’m trying to figure out how in the hell I am going to torque them back down?

Image

It’s hard to see from this angle, but the flywheel is coming off with the transmission, last I remember that’s not how this arangement works.
So the mystery has been solved.

It wasn’t crank walk
It wasn’t a blown pressure plate
It was improper torquing of the flywheel bolts

Now I have a new problem. how to get this godamned transmission out. Because I have super stiff polyurethane mounts on my engine it doesn’t tilt forward or backward like it would on normal nissan mounts or even stiffer nismo mounts, on top of the fact the engine sits a half inch higher because of them.

Image

So I guess I’m supposed to support the transmission while trying to woof it out of the clutch disc.

Image

It’s literally stuck here and between my floor. So I crawled under this area and did some move caveman shit only to have the 75 lb transmission fall on my fucking balls and trap me under my car. I seriously was having a panic attack because I don’t like working under cars much less the idea of dying due to asphyxiation. So I was trying my hardest to fucking pull it together and slide this thing off of me, only now I have reduced the ground clearance I had and the tranny is wedged on the tunnel and my balls.

Needless to say I was over working on the car today once I got the fucking thing off of me and waited until today basically to get back under it. (The above all went down on Thursday)



Image

As I stated the threads weren’t too bad on the flywheel bolts after I removed them, I picked up an all new set at the nismo shop Friday afternoon and also all new pressure plate bolts.

Image

Here you can see the damage to the heads of the flywheel bolts that were contacting the pressure plate. It was more of a slow grinding rather than it eating away at the clutch disc.
The one with the most material missing is what lodged the clutch disc in the engaged position….

Image

Other than some slight rubbing on the center surface of the clutch disc or “puck” and uneven wear on the clutch disc I’m sure from vibrating and not contacting the flywheel properly due to the bolts touching it. It’s re-usable, none of the spring retainers are damaged, just a little grindage but the surface is the same as the others.

Image
Image

A closer and more blurry look, fucking macro.

Image

Here is the opposite side (pressure plate surface) for comparison.

Image

Here is my nut sack. *chuckles*

Amazingly I stopped taking pictures after trying to plot how I was going to tilt the engine, slowly jack the transmission up in the air while guiding it in and realized I cannot do this by myself and will need help, so the only other option is to break the two nuts holding the motor mounts and lift the engine up and sit it forward, tilt it back with the lift and muscle the transmission on there. But fuck all that fancy shit, I’d rather spend another 14 bucks on radiator fluid and water wetter than trying to come up with some ingenious way to get this fucking transmission on and torque it down properly.

I really am in no mood what so ever to do any of this so I may just spend the week sanding the car instead of doing anything mentioned above.

Get my mind right.

W.E.

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!