Tuesday : Paint Prep Day 2

taking the doors apart fucking sucks so much ass, and this is just the easy stuff. Just wait until I get to where I am removing weather stripping and crap, just the thought of it makes me cringe. =(

to remove your door handle, the best way to do this is to remove your window. While you can technically get the door handle installed with the window in the car still. Trust me, I've done it and you will end up breaking the retainer clips for all of the stupid rods needed to open and close your doors.





first you want to take a 12 socket to this guy right here and take him off completely, there are two more to the right of him you can loosen and just slide down. You'll see it if you attempt it



those are the other two...

with power windows you will want to move the windows up a tad so you can get the two 10mm bolts holding on the glass.


here


and here

and then move that green retainer clip off of the rod w/o breaking it, otherwise prepare to buy a new one or hope you're a master at super gluing plastic.





that cruddy looking shit is super glue.

Now with the door handle loose, lets sand it shall we and find out what color this car was before LOL!



oh, it seems there is a "rubber" thing going around the door handle, simply remove these two phillips screws.




and then be faced with the fact that you either have to cut this plastic off to completely remove it or fuck up the rivet rod holding the door handle together... hrmn, tough choice, I think I will try to sand around it.




and this is the reason I am sanding my car down bare... the old paint was used as primer, and if anyone has seen my car up close you can tell just how shitty of a job the old paint did as primer.



yeah sun's on my back now, I'm starving so I'm posting the mid day lunch break update. Going to go back out in a few.

later in the day...

welp here is the door handle all done.




it didn't necessarily need to be perfect like the ganadors, but I wanted to get as much of the previous color(s) off as possible while maintaining a smooth and scuffed surface.

then hit the door up.






all done, we're going to remove the doors when it comes time to paint the car, my brother said they needed to be re-aligned anyway. So I'll wait until that time comes to fully dislodge it.



called it a day, tomorrow I'll finish what I started on the inner jamb

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!