Ding Dong the TPS sensor is dead.

So last weekend I needed to do some required maintenance to my girlfriends 1998 Camry, I can tell you since we've been dating I've changed her brake pads a total of 3 times (this being the third.) And have yet to change my front pads since I bought the car in 2008. (still plenty of life) 


The reason was the bushings in her lower control arms were shot, there was a good 5-10mm of play in the wheel when the car was jacked up. It would violently add a few degree's of steering angle whenever turning left or whenever the torque converter would change gears. You can imagine what this also does to the brakes, and the rotors. Imagine trying to stop your car while trying to shake the wheel from left to right as fast as you could.
Thats what it felt like to drive her car, and you can only imagine how fun that is in the dangerous southern California rain.

So if you have an old automatic car that does something similar to what I'm explaining you might want to get some new control arms.

Luckily my friend works at autozone and hooked me up on the arms, they were about 100 a piece. Which isn't bad since they wanted 50 dollars for each bushing, why not buy new arms.

Here is a close up of the old rotor surface. This is very bad

Anyway it took me about 3 hours to get everything on thanks to a few stubborn bolts and the spring clip for the brake pads that broke so I had to wait on a parts run to return to work. All in all the car drives really good now. Just waiting to hear back on a replacement suspension for the car and it literally will be like a new car since I put a new/used motor in it a while ago.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

To continue on from the last entry about the maintenance done on the IACV, I posted my findings on Zilvia concerning the whole TPS fiasco to make sure I'm not crazy.

probe pin A(5v) and pin B(Signal) should read .45-.65v before operating car anything else and it's toast.

This is the result 2.9 volts cranked all the way at the top, and it gets higher turning it lower so I'm sure it's fucked. Need to stop by Luis' to see if he has a spare TPS I can test, my cousin gave me an auto tps but it wont fit the throttle body. =(


So I'm back to 1500-2000rpm idles for a bit longer. 

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!