Lets talk rear brakes

I'm not too sure if Nissan road racing is a public forum you can browse without a membership. But there are a lot of quality threads on there, for a while now I've wanted some options to spruce up the rear brakes on my car without doing a z32 rear swap.

Rear z32 brake setup


Rally Design Patented 4 piston powerlite caliper with integrated handbrake cable

While I'm sure the benefits of the swap are great, it's a lot of old un-sprung weight and a huge hassle to switch the rear brakes over to a drum break setup. I personally hate the shit out of drum breaks, and have no reason to have a dual caliper hydro setup because I NEVER plan on drifting this car. I just want something that's functional, and will let me park the car while looking good.

I posted that I purchased some Z31 caliper brackets which will let me push my calipers out just a tad and run a larger rotor while maintaining my OEM brake setup for the time being.

Altima rotor with stock s14 rear caliper using z31 brackets. 

On the following thread over at Nissan road racing this fellah purchased the Rally Design calipers listed above and combined it with a rotor/hardware kit from fastbrakes to mount it to his car. Here are pictures of the results.


I'm curious which rotor is coupled with that hat since the advertised
fastbrakes rotors are slotted and drilled. 

Wheel/caliper clearance with 11.75in rotors
I research the shit out of every modification I make on the car, fastbrakes has a kit for 1500 dollars utilizing a newer style wilwood ebrake caliper. Which is available locally rather than getting the Rally Design kit located above. Wilwood has some new e/brake calipers available which is more of an oem design under the flash and not a 4pot caliper. I'd imagine with the Rally Design setup you'd also have to run a Z32 master cylinder to maintain brake bias, where this would allow me to keep the s14's setup. And I still get the ability to run a vented rotor.

single piston caliper with integrated e-brake

an example of how the setup is broken down on a different vehicle

Again I think weighing in all of the options the fast brakes kit is the most expensive but if I could find a way to get this rolling without a huge dent in my pocket I would totally do an 11in rear disc conversion. While this caliper is not as powerful as the 4 piston pictured at the top, it still is a pretty solid design and locally serviceable.

If you would like to read more about wilwoods single piston caliper here is the product page with specifications and if you'd like to check out the fastbrakes kit you can by clicking here.

Sound off in the comments with your thoughts? 

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!