Poor Car, still on the sidelines. But there is hope

I came up on some cash and instead of repairing my Vertex Fenders I decided to finally bite the bullet and get BN Sport fenders for the car they're 30mm wide vs the 12mm width of the vertex fenders which I thought would be enough to compensate for 10in wide wheels, but I guess I just suck at calculating offset and wanted that extra inch of lip too bad.

Notice the slight poke and having to run 225/35/18's to clear the fenders with almost no camber. (I believe it's at -2.5)

18x10 -3

I had a few things in mind to remedy this situation, 1 originally was to buy some OEM Metal fenders and just to fabricate natural looking flares, while extending the metal out so it retained basically a factory appearance. While that idea sounded simple enough, I know that my or my brothers skill as a welder or fabricator would've compromised the strength and integrity of the fender as opposed to someone skilled in fabrication or metal work like Luis Gonzalez, or Juan Vargas (good work for fair prices. I don't have that Rywire or Hoy's Wok money to have that metal works place whipping me out fenders.)

That and the particular fenders I had in mind belonged to someone else, and the deal I was trying to work out with them fell through. I didn't have the money to rush into buying something I still wasn't 100 percent I was going to carry out in time, at that time. So I just had my brother repair the vertex fenders and rolled with those again.

Not My Car (but same wheels 19x9 -20+ offset FF face instead of FR like I have) 

Not My Car (but same wheels 19x9 -20+ offset FF face instead of FR like I have) 

Not My Car (but same wheels 19x9 -20+ offset FF face instead of FR like I have) 
The next step was to get a set of BN Sports S14 Fenders, they're pretty much the only fenders that are 30mm wide and are not made by extreme dimensions or 9k or whatever other knock off fiberglass fender manufacturers are out there. I did some measurements and knew chargespeed/origin/version select 20mm fenders would not be wide enough. I still needed 10mm, This should provide plenty of room to cover the wheel and allow me to upgrade to a wider tire as well.

How wide, remains to be seen however.

I've always liked the look of the BN front fenders ever since I saw Forrest Wang's street s14 in person at all star bash 3 years ago. I had assumed that those were d-max fenders, I didn't realzie that they were BN.



And they were financially un-attainable for me for quite some time, if I ever came into some money I wouldn't be hurt by letting go of. I would make it a point to acquire them, even if I had to sit on them forever to paint and install. Which it looks like that is going to be the case for these when I receive them.

Just don't tell my girlfriend haha.

For the longest time the fenders went for roughly $450-500(depending on the yen exchange rate) which is a similar price to my vertex fenders I have now, the only problem was it was almost 5-600 dollars to ship them, also depending on weather, seasons, etc, etc.

I dunno shit people who buy jdm shit from overseas deal with. I like instant gratification when I purchase things, I want to have it as soon as money leaves my hand. So you can only imagine letting go of 800 dollars and not having anything physical in my hands for almost 5-9 weeks.

Just like the ergonomic office chair I still haven't received at work after getting an evaluation, especially after the ergo team was so responsive to have me set up an appt only to ignore my follow up emails.

And I am not even paying for that!!!

There is still a bunch of things wrong with my car, on top of the fact that I am seeing smog dyno's in the street on a daily basis. Fucking sucks that my s14 is going to become some trophy case of parts rather than the car it was meant to be.

I will not sell it either, not willing to take the loss, and I am not finished with it. I will probably be 40 years old by the time I feel I am done with this car and what I wanted to accomplish. I am just making modifications at my own speed. I'm not about being broke to impress people at a car meet or show anymore.

There are other things like fitness and cupcakes that are more important to me than pouring money into my car.

I already know the fenders were probably not a wise allocation of my accrued vacation severance pay from my previous job. But the way I see it, it was money I never had in the first place...

And I know a lot of similar idiots who think the same way.

- Wayne

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!