Spraypaint the world, or the bottom of your hood.

When I originally bought this Garage-S hood on my car it was in pretty bad shape. I'm sure you can look up previous postings with it. (here, and here as well as other places) My brother did his magic, shaved all of the bondo some idiot put all over the bottom of it. resin'd it up and I ran out of paint once the exterior parts of the car were repainted. Go figure!

I am not a big conveyor of taking my car to shows and showing my engine bay. As I mod the car here and there I've come to learn quite a few things. Tucking engine bay components especially electrical, fancy looms and all of that shit is great for show. But if you drive the car daily and need to troubleshoot something. Say goodbye to hours of work to remove something from sight.

Relocate fusebox to dashboard, no problem! need to troubleshoot electrical in that area dashboard has to come out. So now with my new fan controller bolted to a shock tower I'm more less than likely to show my motor to anyone except the few holes you can see through on my hood. Problem with that is, the bottom of the hood is still red!


home depot special, some screws, garage door weather stripping, 2 cans of paint, painters tape, and drop cloth!  
I also wanted to get a little weather stripping in to close up the gap on my hood to headlights. But I guess I bought something a bit too small. Everything lines up on my car I guess that's just the oem gap that the oem insulator seals but since I've never had an OEM hood I don't have none of that shit!

how hilarious is that, i still have chalk notes from my little brother on the hood. 
I also would like to take a moment to say I am extremely upset that I went to check my coolant overflow the other day for whatever reason, did not put the cap back on but in the engine bay somewhere. proceeded to drive, now I have no cap. GRRRRR!!!!

So I masked this guy up as good as I could around the edges, and anywhere else I figured overspray would get through. The top portion of the hood still hasn't been color sanded so I figured a little overspray wouldn't be a huge deal. But would rather have none than some.

This is right before I applied that drop cloth you saw earlier. 

The goal was just to make this black, not going for any kind of show quality paint here. 
got my weather strip on and painted that as well and boom we're black now! 
I learned from fucking up the paint on my canards that I shouldn't be painting anything in the hot ass sun period due to solvent pop in the spray cans. 1 can covered a majority of the hood, and I used the second can to just give a thicker coat around the edges and get into some nooks and crannies. The surface was contaminated pretty good as the paint is pretty porous in some area's which I think a layer of primer would've fixed. But again we're on that ramen shit to achieve a black you won't see except from the exterior of my car. Now I don't have red reflecting off of my polished bits in the bay!

Lots of text, but hey you're probably bored. I think I'll probably just order the OEM weather stripping from courtesyparts.com since they have some kind of fucking surplus of s14 parts in their warehouse nobody else does and just get my oem seal on eventually.

-Wayne

Popular posts from this blog

Wiring an S13 SR20DET up for an S14 (95-98)

S14 Digital Climate Control 2022 Redux

Almost there!